Friday 6 July 2012

My Murkey Paradise...

In revisit to a notion I briefly dabbled in as a student, I have decided to once again bar tend my way into events I either can't afford to go to or forgot were on before the tickets sold out.  So having signed up with the appropriate temp company, I worked the Stone Roses homecoming weekend of gigs at Heaton Park Manchester.  Awesomo!


My summary of the weekend:


Weather - 
Tenderly walking the line between 'utterly shite' and 'oh look, a ray of sunshine'.  Cold, windy, muddy.  I proceeded to wear all of my black clothing at the same time and encase myself in a poncho, like vacuum-packed drink-serving Barbie.


The Crowd - 
Amazing, in every way!  Majority of the revellers wore a very though-out uniform; the 'Ian Brown haircut' (inc obligatory side burns), parkas, the 'Reni hat', band t-shits, and  some of the most trenchfoot promising footwear ever to be misguidely worn (-Toms, at an outdoor gig in the north-west, really?!).  There was a gloriously electric atmosphere that everyone was about to witness something special, that they had been waiting for since the first time they heard the opening bass on 'I Wanna Be Adored', and as such gave for a truly pleasurable experience and great banter!  Particular praise goes to 2 young Bristolians, who spent a good 20 minutes showing me their homemade tattoos on their bottoms done on each other after 'a few e's and some booze', which meant that due to some interesting handwriting it would appear that one of their desires to have the Kings of Leon song 'Revelry' on his chest is now a permanent homage to "Beverly', whoever she is...
My only complaint was a security f*** up which resulted in my bar being stormed by about 500 smashed people (one of the darlings made a short film, bless), legging it with booze and creating a 'beer fountain'.  They timed it well though, Primal Scream were playing 'Loaded', apt.


The Bands - 
3 days of The Wailers prompted 3 different reactions; Day 1, 'oh cool The Wailers'.  Day 2, 'The Wailers sound a bit samey today. Day 3 - 'Christ they're boring, how long is this set!'
Kid British and Dirty North had a gorgeously British Rock n Roll arrogance i've not heard in a long time and they can really play too.  I will be keeping an eye on these guys, something very 80's indie about both bands, when everything was relevant ya know...
The Vaccines are a band that have bored me on the radio, live they stunned me!  Loved them, I will buy the album begrudgingly, and go find a live gig, very exciting live.
Plan B and Professor Green (the latter expressing his fear of the northern crowd, hmmm) did what they needed to do and sounded great.  I'm not massive on either of these in general, but credit where it's due they sounded great and everyone had a good dance - even I shook my cling film encased booty to 'Remedy' and 'Recluse'.  Lovely.
Primal Scream, I'm sure they were great, but I spent most of their set hiding from a mob on the back of a beer tankard (it holds 50,000 pints, and if it was gonna get popped i wanted my share)-so great riot music it would seem.
Beady Eye were very entertaining, even playing a few Oasis classics which made it even more 'Manchester-tastic' and really added something extra to the day!


And finally...The Stone Roses - 
F***ING BRILLIANT!!!!!!!  I mean really, amazing!  As a band they got tighter throughout the weekend; I've never heard harmonies so subtly beautiful layered over ball-crunching drums, a bass impossible not to nod too and a guitar that captivated every ear - the entire crowd hung on to every note coming from John Squire.  As the gig went on my colleagues, the punters and I all exchanged little electric looks and sly smiles of giddy excitement.  It was everything I could want and more - and I was getting PAID to be there, ye gods!  The NME website has some great pic on it, check them out.  After the gig the atmosphere in the city was of shared excitement and a sense of ownership.  I am by no furthest stretch of the imagination a Manc, but it felt like the city had reclaimed its boys and its place in musical history, it was a pleasure to be part of.


Unfortunately I can't find any good live footage, so here's my favourite song of there's...This was definitely the One







No comments:

Post a Comment